Depression is an escalating issue in our society, According to Gallup, The percentage of U.S.…
The word joy or rejoice is in the New Testament more than 70 times, in the original Greek, the word is: chairó. God repeats Himself when the topic is vital, so cultivating joy is a priority with God. One of the meanings of joy in Phil 4:4, “rejoice in the Lord” is “calm delight”. Calm delight is a perfect action to ignite personal joy because it gives you something healthy to do when life gets tough. For example, when Pam’s mother-in-law who is an agoraphobic gets agitated, Pam stops and prays, “What would bring calm to my Mother-in-Law? What could be a delightful distraction for her?” (Perhaps her favorite lemon cookies?) Or Pam would pray, “What would bring calm to me? What would bring some delight to my soul?” (Maybe a walk in nature, listening to a praise song or doing some creative Bible art?)
In Growing a Joyful Heart devotional by Pam Farrel and Karen Whiting, the authors give you biblical truth, an inspiring story, and a daily “Choose Joy Today” activity to help you cultivate joy in your heart, life and relationships. They have created a “Delightful Detractions” worksheet so you can plan and prepare your delights before life gets stressful. Here are a few ideas to help you get started in creating your own list of “Delightful Distractions.”
- Decadent dark chocolate cake with a rich, creamy filling and a velvety chocolate ganache.
- Freshly baked cinnamon rolls, warm from the oven topped with gooey yummy frosting.
- A back yard barbeque with a perfectly grilled steak, baked potato and ice cold watermelon.
- Homemade pizza with a thin, crispy crust, topped with your favorite fresh ingredients and mounds of melted cheese.
- Creamy risotto with sautéed mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, and a drizzle of truffle oil or your mom’s homemade mac and cheese.
“Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.” – Psalm 34:8 (NIV)
- Refreshing strawberry lemonade with a hint of mint.
- Creamy raspberry smoothie topped with whipped cream and fresh berries.
- Chai latte with a blend of aromatic spices and a frothy milk topping.
- Iced matcha green tea with a touch of honey for a vibrant and energizing drink.
- A tropical fruit punch made with pineapple, mango, and passion fruit juices, garnished with a slice of orange.
“How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” – Psalm 119:103
- Taking a leisurely stroll in a beautiful park or garden, enjoying the fresh air and nature.
- Having a picnic with friends or family in a scenic location.
- Trying out a new hobby or craft, such as painting, pottery, or photography.
- Going for a hike in the mountains, around a lake or a walk on the beach soaking in the natural beauty.
- Curling up with a good book and a cozy blanket, losing yourself in a captivating story.
- Planning a surprise date night for your partner, complete with their favorite activities and treats.
- Organizing a gathering with close friends, filled with laughter and games.
- Spending quality time with family, reminiscing about cherished moments and creating new ones.
- Writing heartfelt letters or sending thoughtful messages to express love and appreciation to loved ones.
- Engaging in deep conversations with a trusted friend, sharing thoughts, dreams, and supporting one another.
“Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.” – 1 Peter 4:8 (NIV)
- Settle in to watch a breathtaking sunset over a serene body of water, with hues of pink, orange, and gold.
- Visit a vibrant flower garden, where colorful blooms create a breathtaking tapestry of nature.
- Bring a blanket and telescope and marvel at a starry night sky, away from city lights, while discerning constellations.
- Explore a bustling farmer’s market, with vibrant displays of fresh fruits, vegetables, and local crafts.
- Admire a beautifully decorated Christmas tree, adorned with sentimental ornaments or take in the neighborhood light displays.
“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.” – Psalm 19:1 (NIV)
Delightful Quiet Moments
- Meditate in a peaceful garden, while allowing your mind to find calmness and inner stillness.
- Enjoy a warm bubble bath with scented candles, relaxing music, and a good book.
- Sit by a crackling fireplace on a chilly evening, wrapped in a cozy blanket, and savoring the tranquility.
- Take in a walk through nature and find a quiet spot to sit and appreciate the sounds of birds chirping and leaves rustling.
- Wake up early and watch the sunrise while sipping a cup of hot tea, welcoming the day with a sense of peace and gratitude.
‘Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.'” – Psalm 46:10 (NIV)
SPRINKLE OUT JOY! Join the Growing a Joyful Heart devotional book launch team! (Click Here) Release: June 28
Pam Farrel is author of 60 books, including Growing a Joyful Heart devotional, and Discovering Joy in Philippians: A Creative Bible Study Experience. Pam is on a personal pursuit of daily joy from her home on a liveaboard boat that she shares with her husband Bill whom she has been happily married to for almost 44 years. She enjoys kayaking, paddleboarding, biking, walking the beach and time with her three sons, three daughters in law and seven grandchildren.