In our Discovering the Bible series, my co-authors (Jean and Karla) and myself, try to…
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â â€“Â Oswald ChambersÂ
This quote reverberated in my soul as I read it as a young leader when I penned my book Woman of Influence. Our integrity matters. I always taught my children, â€œIntegrity is who you are when on one but God is watching.â€ And today I add, â€œand integrity is who you are when the entire world is watchingâ€”like on Facebook!â€Â Helping women hold on to their integrity is one of my lifeâ€™s goals because so many women, so many leaders, have unraveled their own lives by choices made. Having an unguarded heart is dangerous. ProverbsÂ 4:23 is clear, â€œAbove all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.â€ (NIV)Â
Â In Woman of Influence a few of the chapters really help with integrity issues, including the one on intimacy with God where I list of â€œ31 Ways to Wake Up Your Quiet Timeâ€. Here is a link to a mini article on Ways to Wake Up Your Quiet Time.
On my desk are a few items to help remind me of my need to hold on to integrity:
- My Bible- with pens and study aids to dig in for that daily wisdom I need.
- My Laptop- so I have quick access to research on Bible questions so I can apply knowledge so it hopefully turns into wisdom that will protect my life, my family, my ministry and Godâ€™s reputation.
- A compass given to me by a mentor to remind me to let God lead my path. I want Godâ€™s voice to be the loudest in my life so I always know true north and let Him give direction.
- Photos of my husband, family, my staff, mentees, and mentors – so I can see the faces I would crush and disappoint if I had a moral failure. All my choices impact someone else.
- A frame with verses of integrity facing me (but underneath are articles and names of fallen Christian leaders ) to remind me I want to be like the verses can see and be under Godâ€™s umbrella of blessing, not one of the names who chose to walk away from Godâ€™s plan and path. In my book Woman of Confidence, I offer scriptures strung together like this by topic, (including integrity) which can be helpful to use to pray over your life.Â Â
- A turtle- Why a turtle? If you were to walk along and see a turtle sitting on a fence post, what should you ask? How did it get there? Turtles canâ€™t climb. Someone had to put it up on that post. In the same way, every leader has a platform and God put you there, and He can just as easily take you downâ€”just look at King Saul as one vivid example.Â The turtle reminds me to â€œHumble myself under the mighty hand of God and he will exalt me at the proper time.â€Â When I train a woman to be a leader, author, speakerâ€”I have a long list of rigorous training and equipping she must complete, but upon graduation from Circle of Influence, I give her a turtle for her desk too.Â
Whatâ€™s on your desk?