Last week was a well-timed kickoff of my online virtual Zoom study for Discovering Jesus…
But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
(1 Cor 15:57 ESV)
We all desire victories, small and great, in our life and the lives of those we love.
What is victory?
We long for it- the thrill of victory: The adrenalin rush of a win! The feeling of:
- The panoramic view from on top of a mountain after an arduous uphill climb.
- The Personal Best or record-breaking athletic performance
- The camaraderie of the team with a trophy raised.
- The Winner’s Circle after a car or horse race
These are unique victories, but for most of us, victory comes in the form of:
- Landing that big client, or signing a long awaited contract
- Signing papers for the new home, boat, or RV
- Hearing you got the new job, promotion, raise or landed the deal
- Hearing that you, your kids, or grands got that straight A report card
- Garnishing the college or graduate school scholarship
Sometimes victories are raw and real, like:
- Reading a positive blue line signaling you are expecting a long awaited baby
- Overcoming a nagging negative habit that has held you back from life’s best
- Healing an emotional hurt that has been haunting you
- Shedding the weight that has put your health and wellness at risk
- Repairing a relationship so it is healthy and whole
- Seeing a prodigal return to Christ, and to the family
- Helping a child overcome an obstacle to move forward in life
- Returning home from deployment ALIVE
- Crawling, wheeling, shuffling forward with assistance until you can solo
- Breathing, on your own, after a death-defying illness
During a very difficult season, one of my friends encouraged me with, “Sometimes it is victory to just stand!”
Eph 6:13 concurs: “…and having done all, to stand firm.”
No matter what the victories are that you long for or are determined to achieve, know that if that desire matches God’s heart and Word, God is in it with you! God plants the seed for the goal, empowers your path and celebrates the victory with you! Love-Wise recently released a creative devotional journal: VICTORY! In this journal, you will find biblical truths to boost your faith, inspiring quotes to motivate your journey and room for you to record your thoughts, feelings, prayers, and aspirations. There is also open space to draw, doodle, plan, or celebrate your path to victory.
Since reading The Circle Maker by Pastor Mark Batterson, in my journal, I write a goal or prayer then draw a circle around it, and write a verse to pray over that heart’s desire. For example, I might pen “Get a contract for a children’s book” and then around that prayer request I might pen,
“And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” (Phil 4:19 ESV)
After I write the prayer request and verse, I also ask myself: “What will it take to get there?” “Who do I need to become so I can manage well the “Yes” should God decide to grant it? “ Then I circle up the answers into new prayer requests:
- Lord, as I research bestselling children’s books, give me insights on how to write an excellent work.
- Lord, show me what I need to learn and who I need to learn from, to succeed at writing a life- impacting work for children.
- Lord, fine tune the book ideas and plot lines for the children’s books that You think need to be published for “such a time as this.”
- Lord, give me more time with my grandchildren as they inspire and fine-tune me as a picture book writer
- Lord, give me a heart of compassion for the next generation.
- Lord, help me prioritize to gain more time to write the children’s book
I repeat the process of selecting verses to pray over these steppingstones toward these hopes, goals, and prayer requests. In the image on the next page, record your hopes, dreams, and ambitions that you are praying to gain God’s victories in your future. Here is a scripture prayer that I am praying for you to kick start you out of the blocks on your run to victory:
God says, “I am able to do immeasurably more than all you ask or imagine, according to my power that is at work within you. Mine is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is mine. Mine is the kingdom; I am exalted as head overall. Wealth and honor come from me; I am the ruler of all things. I am beyond your reach and exalted in power; in my justice and great righteousness, I do not oppress. I, the Sovereign LORD, come with power, and my arm rules for me. See, my reward is with me, and my recompense accompanies me. I give strength to the weary and increase the power of the weak. I, the Sovereign LORD, have made the heavens and the earth by my great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for me. I rescue and save.”
(adapted from Becoming a Brave New Woman)
May God empower you to many victories!
Pam and Bill Farrel are the CoDirectors of Love-Wise. They are the authors of 56 books, including several quiet time journals: Hope, Joy, and Victory . (Get them individually or as a set) Together, the Farrels run the Living Love-Wise Membership Community. he Farrels make their home on a liveaboard boat docked on the Pacific Ocean.